WADI is a Community Action Agency and a 501c3 tax exempt charity organization.
Community Action equips low-income citizens with the tools and potential for becoming self-sufficient.
The structure is unique – federal dollars are used locally to offer programming that is specifically needed in our local communities. It is a coordinated effort to address the root effects of poverty and to, ultimately, move families and individuals to self-sufficiency. Poverty is viewed as a systemic problem and Community Action is a systems approach to resolving those issues. There are now over 1000 Community Action Agencies throughout the United States and Puerto Rico.
We are committed to:
Supporting the working poor
Head Start / Early Head Start • Literacy programs • Rental subsidies
• Job search assistance • Small business development loan program
• Dislocated Worker Program • Budget counseling • Public internet access
Supporting the poor facing crisis
• Homeless and homeless prevention programs • Emergency food pantries
• Energy crisis assistance • Emergency clothing
Strengthening the whole family
• Comprehensive Family Development • Nutrition education • Parenting education
• Assistance completing food stamp and Medicaid applications • Weatherization assistance
• Energy assistance • Rental assistance and home ownership programs
Strengthening the whole community
• Economic development and support for new business ventures
• Increase value of local housing stock through housing rehabilitation and weatherization
• Support for groups working on neighborhood improvements
• Support for dialogue and planning among all sectors of the community